Logo

History

gallery/the wheelhouse
gallery/wheelhouse

Merton Priory (known locally as Merton Abbey) was once visited by Kings and Queens alike, Henry VI was crowned there.

Work has just been completed developing the area of the ruins underneath Merantum Way and September 2018 saw the Completion of a Visitor Centre and Museum.

In 1724 a Calico printing factory was established at Merton Abbey and in 1752 a second one was established inside the walls of the Priory.

In 1881, 200 yards north of the existing Wheelhouse, William Morris established his works, taking over an existing factory roughly where Sainsbury's and M&S are now.

The Wheelhouse's famous Water Wheel was manufactured in 1850 and was used, among other things, as a rinsing house for the printed calico material.

In 1904, the existing printing works was bought and the site was developed by Liberty's of London who printed their exquisite silks and materials here until they finally finished production in 1972.

Eventually, the site was purchased by Merton Council and turned into a very successful Arts & Crafts Village and Marketplace. Today it is privately owned and run as office and retail units.

Small shops on site including the Wheelhouse, the Craft Gallery and Charlie's Rock Shop work hard to keep the arts & crafts alive in Merton Abbey Mills.

The Wheelhouse at Merton Abbey Mills